Classic, fresh, and delicious!
I came up with this classic red salsa recipe about a year ago and since then, it is the ONLY red salsa that we use!
It is good fresh, but even better after it has sat in the refrigerator for a day. When stored in an air-tight container, this salsa lasts for 1-2 weeks in the refrigerator.
Homemade Salsa (Red)
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 small onion
- 2 jalepenos
- 1/2- 3/4 c cilantro leaves, lightly packed
- 2 limes
- 1 lemon
- 5-10 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
1. Lightly drain the tomatoes and place in a blender.
2. Roughly chop onion and add to the blender.
3. Remove seeds from the jalepenos according to the heat you desire. Remove seeds from: 0- to make it hot, 1- to make it medium, or 2- to make it mild. Then add to the blender along with the cilantro.
4. Juice the limes and lemon (using a strainer to separate out seeds), add juice to the blender.
5. Peel garlic cloves. (Place garlic cloves on a cutting board and press down on them one at a time with the FLAT side of a knife, crushing them slightly. This will break the peel and make it easy to remove). Add to the blender along with salt and pepper. Blend in pulses. Taste and add more salt and/or pepper to taste.