I LOVE pasta bake! But when it is a balmy 91 degrees outside there’s NO WAY that I am going to heat up our kitchen by turning on the oven! So I devised this recipe as a way to have the same affect of a pasta bake without actually doing any baking.
This recipe is all done in a pot and a steamer. There are a lot of vegetables in this dish but you will hardly be able to tell when it is all done.
If you (or your kids) have a hard time eating broccoli this is an excellent recipe to sneak in the nutritious vegetable!
No-Bake Pasta Bake
- 2/3 box of gluten free linguini
- 2 heads of broccoli, finely chopped
- 1 yellow squash, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5-8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb baby bella mushrooms
- 1 1/2 jars of your favorite marinara
- 1/4-1/2 cup nutritional yeast (optional, but highly recommended)
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt-free seasoning
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
1. Cook linguini according to package
2. Place broccoli, yellow squash, and zucchini in a steamer and steam for 10 minutes (or until tender)
3. In a large pot (5 qt or more) cook onion for 3 minutes over medium heat (adding 1 tbsp of water or dry red wine at a time to prevent sticking). Add in garlic and cook for another minute. Add in mushrooms, breaking up some of them with your hands as you place them in the pot. Reduce heat to medium/low and continue to cook, stirring often. Allow for mushrooms to release their liquid and then continue to cook until the bulk of the excess liquid has evaporated.
4. Add seasonings to the pot and stir. Add marinara and nutritional yeast (if using) and stir. Stir in steamed vegetables and cooked pasta. Bring up heat until the mixture just starts to boil, stirring frequently. Cover with a lid and turn off heat. Allow to sit for 15 minutes. After letting it sit, bring the heat back up again, stirring frequently, cover and allow to sit for another 15 minutes. Bring heat up a final time and serve.