These tasty boats knocked our socks off! Surprisingly delicious! All of the flavor of grandma’s lasagna without any of the guilt!
I love lasagna, but it can be a big hassle! So I came up with these as a way to pack in flavor and nutrition without spending hours in the kitchen! Neither of us expected to like these as much as we did but I would consider them, pot-luck worthy (which is high praise from me)! I hope you enjoy them too!
The ric-not-ta (like “ricotta” but cheese-free) is pretty easy to assemble, it just requires a little patience while waiting for the liquids to evaporate.
Making and assembling the boats was also easy to do. I microwaved the zucchini until they were tender instead of pre-baking them, which sped-up the process. Then I just stuffed them and baked them! Voila!
Lasagna Zucchini Boats
– 3 zucchinis
– 1 jar of marinara
– 1 package lite, firm tofu
– 8 oz sliced mushrooms
– 1 small onion
– 5-8 cloves of garlic
– 1/4-1/2 c. nutritional yeast
– 1/4 c. sun-dried tomatoes
– 2 tbsp lemon juice
– 1/2 tsp salt
– 1/2 tsp oregano
– 1/2 tsp salt-free seasoning
– 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
– 1/2 tsp thyme
– 1/4 tsp parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Chop the onion and mushrooms and mince the garlic. Place in a large saute pan and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes. Once the mushrooms release their liquids, turn the heat up to medium high and continue cooking until most of the liquid has evaporated. Once most of the liquid has evaporated, crumble in the block of tofu into the pan and continue cooking to allow excess moisture from the tofu to evaporate as well.
3. While waiting for liquids to evaporate, prepare the zucchini boats. Cut off the very ends of the zucchini. Place the zucchini on a plate and microwave for five to seven minutes (or until the zucchini are tender). Cut the zucchinis in half and use a spoon to scoop out the flesh (leaving a 1/4 inch layer) to make your boats.
4. After the tofu-mushroom mixture has finished cooking, transfer it to a large mixing bowl. Chop the sun-dried tomatoes and add them to the bowl along with the remaining ingredients, except for the marinara sauce.
5. Line a baking pan with parchment paper and arrange zucchini boats so that they fit comfortably. One at a time, remove a zucchini, stuff it with the tofu-mushroom mixture and replace it in the pan. Continue until all boats have been filled. Top with marinara and bake for 15-20 minutes.