Summertime means it’s mango time! I’m sure most of you have had mango salsa on a taco, but have you ever eaten fresh mango as a main ingredient in a taco? Well you should! These tacos are sweet, savory, and refreshing all at the same time!
The other main ingredient is oyster mushrooms- not pretty to look at, but oh, are they tasty!! For those of you who are unfamiliar with oyster mushrooms, be prepared when you go to buy them. They are bizarre looking! Think of a series of oysters on the half shell growing out of a log and you’ll have a pretty good idea of what these alien-esque mushrooms look like. (I had meant to take a picture before chopping them up, but was too busy munching on mango pieces to remember- sorry! I’ll get the a picture to show you next time I use them- which will be soon, because we love them so much!)
I wanted to post this as one of my Seriously Simple recipes, but if you have the time and the desire, fire roasted jalapenos go a long way on these tacos.
Sweet white onion, fresh cilantro from the garden, and zesty lime juice complete these tacos. Biting into one of these tacos tastes like an amigo saying “Hola!” Enjoy!
Mushroom & Mango Tacos
- 9 white corn torn tortillas
- 12 oz oyster mushrooms
- 1 mango
- 1 sweet white onion
- 2-3 limes
- 3-7 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 c cilantro
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
1. Chop the mushrooms and mince the garlic. Place in a saute pan and cook over medium heat for five minutes or until the mushrooms release their liquids and most of the extra liquid has burned off. Stir in salt and pepper.
2. Dice the mango, finely chop the white onion, and cut the lime into wedges.
3. Corn tortillas are best warmed in a saute pan or toasted over an open flame, but prepare them in whatever way you like best.
4. Assemble the tacos, filling a tortilla with mushrooms, onion, mango, and cilantro. Finish by squeezing one or two lime wedges over the tacos.