Strawberries are in season! I wanted to create a light, refreshing salad that showcased them along with the fresh mint we’re growing out back. What I got was total picnic food!
I recently discovered that I have gluten sensitivity, so I have been looking for different grains to incorporate into my diet. With that in mind, I used quinoa instead of cous cous for this salad.
Strawberry & Mint Salad
- 1 qt strawberries
- 1 cucumber
- 1/4 c mint, lightly packed
- 1 c quinoa
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 head romaine lettuce
1. Dice the strawberries and place in a pie pan. Sprinkle sugar over the strawberries. Stir and cover with plastic wrap. Place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
2. Cook quinoa with two cups of water in a rice cooker. Alternatively, cook quinoa on the stove top. Bring water and quinoa to a boil, and then reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until quinoa is tender.
3. While quinoa is cooking, chop the cucumber and place in a large bowl. Finely chop the mint and add to the bowl.
4. Once quinoa is finished cooking, fluff with a fork and add it to the bowl.
5. Add the chilled, sugared strawberries to the bowl. Stir.
4. Chop off the bottom of the head of lettuce to loosen the leaves.
6. Serve on lettuce leaves.