People often ask me, “You’re a vegan? Isn’t that hard?” To which I reply, “Nope, because I LOVE everything that I eat!” And it’s true! The tasty combination of sweet and heat that you get with these sweet potato nachos are a prime example of just how delicious plant-based food can be!
I applaud people who eat dinner around a dining table, but to be honest with you, Chris and I eat dinner in the living room 99.9% of the time! We spend so much time in the kitchen experimenting with recipes and taking photos of our successes, that when we finally get to eat, all we want to do is crash on the couch and enjoy our food while catching up on some Netflix and lounging with our cats! After making these nachos, I walked into the living room with my plate of nachos, after Chris had already had a few bites of hers. She looked up at me and simply said, “Love it!”
I came up with this recipe while day dreaming about sweet potatoes–like everyone does, I’m sure! I came up with quite a few ideas to try, which I am excited to share with you in the coming weeks, but the first idea that came to mind on this particular mental vacation, was nachos! I knew I wanted to pair the sweetness of the root vegetable with savory black beans and thought refried black beans would provide a way to get additional toppings to stick. And I was right! The beans did an excellent job of holding on to even messy (and delicious) corn salad! I am telling you, these nachos are amazing and would likely please even the pickiest of eaters! Even as I am typing this, I am drooling at the thought of eating the leftovers for lunch today! Enjoy!
Sweet Potato Nachos
- FOR THE CORN SALAD
- 2 1/2 c sweet white corn, frozen
- 1 1/2 c fire roasted corn, frozen
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 c cilantro leaves, lightly packed
- 1 large red onion
- 1-3 jalapenos
- 1 lime
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp jalapeno salt FOR THE NACHOS
- 3 sweet potatoes
- 1 14.5 oz refried black beans
- 1/2 c enchilada sauce
- salsa verde (optional)
- Hot sauce (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Score (create slits in the skin every half inch) the potatoes–long-ways–using a small sharp knife. This will create breaks in the skin so that it is easier to chew or cut later. Then, slice the sweet potatoes into rounds about 1/4-1/2 inches thick. Place potatoes in a single layer on two parchment lined baking sheets. Bake for 40 minutes.
2. While the potatoes are in the oven, prepare the corn salad. Place the corn in a large microwave safe bowl and microwave for 3 minutes on half power. Stir and microwave for another 2-3 minutes on half power or until corn is no longer frozen.
3. Seed and finely chop your chosen number of jalapenos. Add to the bowl. Finely chop red onion and red bell pepper, and cilantro. Add to the bowl.
4. Juice the lime and add it to the corn mixture along with seasonings. Stir to mix thoroughly.
5. Warm the beans on the stove top over a low/medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until warmed through.
6. Once potatoes have finished baking assemble the nachos: place sweet potato rounds on a plate, add a smear of beans, drizzle enchilada sauce on top, and add a scoop of corn salad. Top with salsa verde or hot sauce as desired.