Chili on baked potatoes is one of those dishes that always hits the spot! I decided to make an easy crock pot chili for a no-fuss mid-week meal. I topped the potatoes with sauerkraut for extra flare and steamed broccoli for extra greens. Then, I sprinkled some green onions and hot sauce over the whole delicious mess! Enjoy!
Chili & Sauerkraut Baked Potatoes
- 4 russet potatoes
- large head of broccoli
- 2-4 c sauerkraut
- 1 c chopped green onion FOR THE CHILI
- 28 oz petite diced tomatoes
- 16 oz baby bella mushrooms, lightly chopped
- 14.5 oz can dark red kidney beans
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large sweet white onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cumin
- 3/4 tsp chili powder
- 3/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp turmeric (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 tsp steak seasoning (smoked, if you can find it)
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
1. Place all of the chili ingredients in a crock pot. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Use a fork to prick the potatoes 12-20 times each, wrap individually in foil, and place in the oven for 45-60 minutes or until potatoes are tender to the touch.
3. After you put the potatoes in the oven, cut the broccoli into small florets and steam for 10 minutes or until tender (but not mushy). Set aside.
4. Assemble potatoes by cutting them in half and piling on sauerkraut, chili, and steamed broccoli. Top with green onions and hot sauce as desired.